Southern Boy in ChiTown

Sunday, May 07, 2006

"Doing" Chicago

Despite continuing to work ridiculous hours, we actually managed to get out and enjoy the city a little bit. Lady J came down and met me at the Aon Center for lunch Friday and spent the afternoon shopping at the old Marshall Field and Carson Pirie Scott in the Loop. I met her after I got off work and we grabbed an early dinner at Water Street Kitchen (attached to the Hotel Monaco on Wabash). Stopped off at the Virgin Megastore and picked up a few new things (all horribly predictable - the new Flaming Lips and the new Pearl Jam and finally picked up Danger Doom).


Saturday was beautiful if pretty damn cool for May. I knew I was going to be working Sunday so we made sure to get out Saturday fairly early and I took the film camera out for the first time. Went to the Museum of Contemporary Art to see the Warhol show (I haven't spent much time up close to early Warhol - it was interesting although I remain not a huge fan) before heading over to the lakefront. Had lunch at Water Tower Place before taking a walk along the lake down to Navy Pier, just for the hell of it. That led to a walk along the river before heading up Michigan for home - we were pooped!!

Since I had to work this evening we got out again to do a little walking around and exploring. Headed up Dearborn to Oak Street (heavy window-shopping) and then walked around some gorgeous neighborhoods off of Michigan up towards Division. We stopped off at Formetto Mei at Whitehall Hotel for brunch before heading home to get to work.

All of this sounds pretty mundane but after the first few weeks up here it was a real treat. One of the best parts of it is that the whole thing was done on foot - to do something similar at home, the weekend would have to be done by car to get between everyone one of the things we'd want to do. I have no intention of moving to Chicago, believe me - but I am trying to learn from the experience here and I'm finding that I really do like being able to walk to do things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home