Southern Boy in ChiTown

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Homesick, but for where?

Spent all of Easter Sunday in the apartment working - I literally did not step foot outside the building. By Wednesday I had over 40 hours in and was feeling really homesick - ready to get the hell out for a few days.

3:30 Friday rolled around and I walked out of the Aon Center to head north and I realized that as I walked past the folks already hanging outside at Quartino's on State Street in the beautiful afternoon sunshine and as I passed folks doing the same at Rosebud's on Rush in the cab on the way to Midway - hell, I didn't want to leave at all! I wanted my sweetie with me but I would have been perfectly happy to plop down at one of the outdoor tables at any of those places and not leave until they kicked us out.

Finally made it up to Division Tuesday to meet a couple of guys from work (for those that are not Chicago-savvy, Division and Rush is one of the bar/restaurant/club scenes). I doubt I'd be interested in hitting it on a Friday or Saturday, but Tuesday felt about right - lots of people around but not so crowded that it was uncomfortable.

Noticed something on the way to the airport - all the cabs have Illinois license plates of "nnnn TX", which would imply that there are a maximum of 10,000 cabs in Illinois. I would swear to you that there are at least 9,950 at any given time along about a 10-block stretch of Michigan Ave, so for you folks in Champaign and Peoria, good luck hailing a taxi!

4 Comments:

  • It was a wonderful rainy day down South today... Prepping us for a week of [INSERT STATE] blue skies down in our part of Heaven...

    WR

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 PM  

  • We still take the Pony Express in these parts!

    I really need to map out a weekend to catch up with you guys ... hope all is going well there!

    By Blogger mapgirl, at 11:08 PM  

  • O M G

    I didn't realize you were on an epic legendary adventure. These places you speak of are the IT kin to McKinley, K2, and Everest, complete with yeti lurking on every level. cubs or sox?

    By Blogger tmay245, at 10:10 AM  

  • tmay - cubs for no other reason that sox fans seem more obnoxious (and the bartender at the Italian place across the street is a cubbie fan - seems safer for me to agree).

    mapgirl - emailing you schedule - meant to do that weeks ago but we kept being wishy-washy on when we were doing what.

    By Blogger Tony Plutonium, at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home