Southern Boy in ChiTown

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Timing is Everything

I can't complain too much about the timing of this (temporary) move to Chicago. I managed to have a couple of weeks to enjoy early spring (which actually starts in late winter) in the Piedmont of North Carolina before leaving. The redbuds, cherry trees and forsythia were in full bloom, as were the daffodils (you can often tell where the old farmhouses on formerly rural roads were by where the daffodils are) and the Bradford pears (I know the pears aren't native, but they really are gorgeous). The jasmine on the arbor in the backyard was just starting to bloom again (of course it seems to bloom every two months lately regardless of the time of year).

The bummer is missing the second part of spring - the dogwoods and azaleas and wisteria, all of which make North Carolina in the middle of spring one of the most magnificent places on God's green earth. On the other hand, everyone that I've talked to says that despite the unseasonably cold weather here in Chicago this week and next, I'll really enjoy spring and summer here. I have no doubt about that, but I'm betting there are no dogwoods or azaleas...

I don't mean to sound homesick - despite the pressure, this was a pretty good week and I expect things to go well over the next few months. There will undoubtedly be ups and downs, but I'm confident that it'll go okay and be fun! (After seeing the view today that we're going to have from the apartment we're moving into in April, I'm even more psyched!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home