Southern Boy in ChiTown

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sentimental Journey

I hate to admit what a sappy sentimental pile of mush I can be sometimes, but Friday night actually makes me laugh when I think about it. Flew back from Midway a little earlier than usual but later than scheduled, which gave me time to down about 5 pints of Heiney in the Concourse A lounge. I stayed dry on the two hour flight since I had to drive home, but I was pretty tired by the time I got out to the park-and-ride.

Started up the XTerra, hit the CD player and James Taylor's Greatest Hits comes up as I'm paying the attendant.

Something in the Way She Moves
I'm actually bawling by the time I merge onto I-40 West.
"Every now and then the things I lean on lose their meaning
and I find myself careening in places where I should not let me go.
She has the power to go where no one else can find me
yes, and to silently remind me
of the happiness and the good times that I know"
Carolina in My Mind
Usually this one gets to me too, but this night instead of some sort of nostalgia it's more of an anthem. I'm singing at the top of my lungs as I roll under the NC 54 overpass.
"With a holy host of others standing round me,
still I'm on the dark side of the moon.
And it seems like it goes on like this forever.
You must forgive me if I'm up and gone to Carolina in my mind."
Fire and Rain
One of the best songs ever written - this one gets to me too, so I'm choked up again as I exit I-40 at NC 86. Almost home.
"Been walking my mind to an easy time, my back turned towards the sun.
Lord knows when the cold wind blows it'll turn your head around.
Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line to talk about things to come.
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground."
Hey, I know this is embarrassing, but what the hell. If I can't chuckle at myself then just go ahead and bury me. But I think I will make sure I'm listening to the Arctic Monkeys or something on the way home from now on...

2 Comments:

  • Oh for Crissakes! Grow a spine will ya?

    This being away from the missus has done you in. You're going to need to serious drinkin, music, and whipping when you get back.

    Sissy!

    By Blogger jw, at 1:17 PM  

  • I'm a softy.

    By Blogger Tony Plutonium, at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home